Photograph Album Comprising Personal Photographs of: Harbury Cement Works under Construction, near Leamington, Warwickshire 1919 to 1926
1919 - 1926. 1919. 9½'' x 6'' hard back photograph album filled with 4'' x 3'' black and white photographs mounted between thick card stock of Harbury Cement Works, Leamington, Warwickshire. Sometimes called Greaves Works. The company had several Warwickshire Blue Lias sites, and claimed to have made cement as early as 1847, when Pasley mentioned it as one of only three water cements in production. This was clearly a pre-Portland artificial cement, and the manufacture of true Portland cement seems to have started a few years after the construction of the Harbury plant in 1855. They were claiming to make Portland cement from the outset, but Spackman testifies that the true product was first made when double burning and a wet process was adopted in 1864. The other Warwickshire plants used dry methods, for which equipment only became available in the 1870s. The main products were various grades of Lias Cement, and given that the plant had only two bottle kilns, probably only one was making Portland. Lias lime products remained in production: the last lime kilns ceased operation in 1939. There were four Portland kilns (120 t/week) in operation by 1882, when a set of four Johnson kilns (100 t/week) was added. Subsequent sets of five and two Johnson kilns and seven Batchelor kilns were added bringing the capacity to Davis' 1907 figure of 600 t/week . In 1909, the first rotary kiln was installed. The chamber kilns continued in intermittent operation until the second rotary kiln was installed in ?1912. Edgar Allen installed the third rotary kiln in 1924 and also lengthened the older kilns. The Engineering article describes the installation in 1926 of slurry sprays on all three kilns: the very easy combinability of the mix probably accounts for the relative - in fact, unique - success of this technique at Harbury, but the sprays on A3 were replaced with a chain system as soon as Blue Circle took over. Kilns A1 and A2 were replaced with somewhat newer second hand kilns, and this remained the set-up until closure. The plant was designed for rail transport and, unlike the other Warwickshire plants, had no link to the canal system. It was on the GWR London Birmingham main line opened three years before the plant in 1852. After shut-down of the kilns, the site remained until 1994 as a depot, then it was cleared.
Little Stour Books Books (Member of PBFA)Professional seller
Book number: 89733
GBP 75.00 [Appr.: EURO 87.5 US$ 97.29 | JP¥ 10570]