"[History of the Parish and Manor of Ruardyn, alias Ruardean] [in] Transactions of the Bristol & Gloucestershire Archaeological Society for 1883-84. Vol. VIII"
"Printed for the Society by C.T. Jefferies, Bristol, 1884" "8vo., First Edition, with title in red and black, and numerous engraved plates, maps and plans (a number folding); most attractively bound in contemporary half calf, marbled boards, back with five raised bands, second and third compartments with red and black leather labels ruled and lettered in gilt, all other compartments ruled in gilt, red sprinkled edges, buff endpapers, covers lightly age-worn at corners else a remarkably bright, clean, fresh copy. With the fine nineteenth century engraved armorial bookplate of Broome Witts on front paste-down, and the bookplate of the University Library Liverpool on front free endpaper. THE SOLE DEDCIATED HISTORY OF THE PARISH. This copy was formerly in the library of the Rev. Francis Edward Broome Witts, Canon of Gloucester and author of the following piece on Sodbury Camp. In addition to Maclean's account of Ruardean (pp.124-148; 2 plates), major papers include: Local Names (Rev. Earle), Battle of Deorham (Hallett), Sodbury Camp (Witts), Thornbury Church (T. Waters), Excavations of the Roman Baths at Bath (C.E. Davis), St. Briavel (John James), Font at Hinton Parva (Rev. Scarth), Roman Road from Corinium to Lydney (J.H. Cooke), Earlier House of Berkeley (H. Barkly), Hospital of St. John, Cirencester (E.A. Fuller), Chantry Certificates Gloucestershire (John Maclean), Recent Romans Finds in Cirencester (T.B. Bravender), Tokens found at Cirencester (T.B. Bravender), Family of James Johnson (W. Money), Discovery of Interments at St. Briavels (W.T. Allen). EXTREMELY SCARCE, ESPECIALLY IN A HANDSOME PERIOD BINDING. Austin, 10366; Hyett & Bazeley, p.282."
Island BooksProfessional seller
Book number: 14561
GBP 110.00 [Appr.: EURO 122 US$ 137.54 | JP¥ 14813]
Keywords: "topography, gloucestershire, glos, gloucester, ruardean, ruardyn, cirencester, deorham, sodbury, thornbury, hinton parva, bath"