Antiquariaat Goltzius: Heraldry Nobility United Kingdom
found: 4 books

 
[Segar, Simon]
Honores Anglicani, or Titles of Honour, The Temporal Nobility of the English Nation.
London, J. Bakker, 1711. 1st edition. 4o. Full blue morocco with gold decoration and gilt edges. Very good condition. Exlibris of Fox Strangways Earl of Ilchester and Georg Schakne and a tipped in hand painted armorial frontispiece on vellum of the fox-coat-of-arms. 188 pag. Extremely rare first edition of this book on English nobility, with a succinct list of English noble titles from the time of William the Conqueror until 1711. H104
Antiquariaat GoltziusProfessional seller
Book number: 19635
€  862.50 [Appr.: US$ 919.71 | £UK 738 | JP¥ 140949]

 
FURNESS OF GRANTLY, LIBERAL, VICTORIA
Grant of arms donated by Sir Albert William Woods, Garter, Principal King-of Arms, George Edward Cokayne, Clarenceux, King of Arms and William Henry Weldon Norroy King of Arms to Christopher Furness, first Baron Furness of Grantley (13 April 1851 - 10 November 1911), British businessman and liberal politician.
British Empire, London, d.d. 9 August 1900. Vellum charter, good condition. 64x51 cm. Manuscript text and calligraphy. With 3 hand coloured coats of arms and one of Furness. Orgininal signatures and three attached wax seals of the mentioned officials in brass crowned casings. The charter is encased in a made to fit oblong wooden case, with metal closing mechanism and clothed with red linen, decorated in gold with VR initials and crowns. The grant of arms mentiones that Furness is of Tunstall Court in de Borough of West Hartlepool in the County of Durham, of `The Manor´ in the parish of Cundall with Norton-le-Clay, of Grantley Hall in the parish of Grantley both in the county of York, and of Whitehall Court in the parish of St James Westminster, Knight and amongst other occupations representative in parliament for the Hartlepools from 1891 to 1895. With this grant the coat-of-arms of the Furness family was established. H98
Antiquariaat GoltziusProfessional seller
Book number: 60984
€  1725.00 [Appr.: US$ 1839.41 | £UK 1475.75 | JP¥ 281898]

 
HOPTON, STRETTON GRANSOME, CANON FROME, BISHOPS FROME, GEORGE III
Grant of arms donated by Isaac Heard, Garter, principal King of Arms and George Harrison, Clarenceux, King of Arms of the south east and west parts of England, to the reverend William Hopton (?-1841), heretofore known as William Parsons of Stretton Gransome in the county of Hereford, now city of Hereford clerk in order to grant him the arms belonging to the name of Hopton he took earlier in the year by Royal decree.
British Empire, d.d. 1 August 1817. Vellum charter, good condition. 60x45 cm. Manuscript text and calligraphy, with 4 coloured coats of arms (three of the King and the officials and one of Hopton). Original 'signatures' (written names) and attached wax seals of both officials in decorated wooden (spane) casings. Encased in a made to fit oblong wooden case, with metal closing mechanism and clothed with red linen, decorated in gold with GR initials and crowns. This comes with an original letter from George W. Marshall, Rouge Croix, from the College of Arms dated 1900 and the Royal licence (signed by Queen Victoria) adressed to Lieutenant-Colonel Hopton for a change of name and arms from John Dutton Hunt to Hopton. This charter explains that William Hopton, heretofore William Parsons, only surviving son of John Parsons MP of Kemerton Court county Gloucester, deceased by Deborah his wife who was the daughter of Richard Hopton of Canon Frome in Hereford and the aunt of Richard Cope Hopton also deceased, took the name of Hopton by Royal decree of 11 March 1817 in order to inherit the Canon Frome estate. It also relates to the impressive family history dating several centuries back. The Hoptons had lived at Canon Frome for several generations, the succession often being through the female line. The Canon Frome estate was one of the largest in the county and he was a typical ‘squarson'. William (Parsons) Hopton, married twice (first to Mary Graves and second to Anna Poole), and his eldest grandson by the second marriage, Edward married his cousin, Clare Ellen Trafford. A soldier who served in the Crimea, Indian Mutiny, and the Kaffir and Zulu Wars, Edward became a General and was knighted in 1900. He, and his son Edward after him, were Trustees of the Michaelchurch Estate, and Eliza Rawson bought them a house (at Cagebrook in the parish of Eaton Bishop?). It seems that Canon Frome Court is now inhabitated by a rural living community of adults and children. Kemerton Court (apparently the ancestral home of the Parsons family) still exists and in the village of Kemerton there is a two storey tower still known as "Parsons folly". Unusual is the grant of a crest "out of a Ducal Coronet" "under the peculiar circumstances and the antiquity of the family" but "may not be made a precedent." H96
Antiquariaat GoltziusProfessional seller
Book number: 60986
€  2587.50 [Appr.: US$ 2759.12 | £UK 2213.75 | JP¥ 422846]

 
ROOPE HARRIS, BRISTOL, GREENWAY, AGATHA CHRISTIE, LEAKE, TOWNLEY
Grant of arms donated by Stephen Martin Leake, Garter and Charles Townley, Clarenceux, Kings of Arms, to Roope Harris (1747-1811) of Bristol. Roope Harris became Roope Harris Roope afterwards.
United Kingdom, d.d. 10 september 1771. Vellum charter, 33x43 cm. Good condition. Copperplate hand engrossed, calligraphy, with large hand coloured coat-of-arms. Two wax seals of the mentioned kings of arms, in perfect condition, in decorated tin cases, attached to the document by silk ribbons. The charter comes encased in a contemporary oblong leather case, decorated with embossed, gilt patterns, lined with decorated coloured paper, broken at the hinges and worn. This charter confirms the coat-of-arms of Roope to Roope Harris of Bristol, who took the name and the coat-of-arms of Roope on 11 July 1771. Roope Harris (1747-1811), son of Ambrose Harris, son of Nicholas Harris of Dittisham, inherited the Roope estate at Greenway on the river Dart from Margaret Deeble (Margaret' Deebles Will 1777), so long as he agreed to take on the surname of Roope, hence the name 'Roope Harris Roope'. Roope Harris is the link between two branches of the Roope family, the Roope's of Little Dartmouth, Devon and the Roope's of Oporto, Dittisham, Kingswear etc. Greenway was bought by Agatha Christie in 1938 as a summer house for her and her husband Max Mallowan. The house is now owned by the National Trust. Greenway was previously owned by The Gilberts who finally sold Greenway around 1700 to Thomas Martyn, about whom nothing is known, but through him the property descended to the Roopes, a family of successful Dartmouth merchants. By 1780 Roope Harris Roope was the owner. He had apparently been born in Massachusetts (USA) and later travelled widely on business whilst also having 15 children, 6 of them born at Greenway. In 1791 Roope sold Greenway to Edward Elton, a Bristol merchant venturer and MP (his family also owned Clevedon Court). H168
Antiquariaat GoltziusProfessional seller
Book number: 61034
€  2242.50 [Appr.: US$ 2391.24 | £UK 1918.5 | JP¥ 366467]

| Pages: 1 |