The History And Antiquities Of Hawsted, And Hardwick, In The County Of Suffolk. By The Rev. Sir John Cullum, Bart. F.R.S. & F.S.A.. The Second Edition: With Corrections By The Author; And Notes By His brother, Sir Thomas-Gery Cullum .
London: Printed By And For J. Nichols, Son, And Bentley, Red Lion Passage, Fleet Street; Sold Also By T. Payne, Pall Mall; And White, Cochrane, And Co, Fleet Street, 1813 . 0. "Of this edition only 230 copies are printed." A very good "graingerised" edition. 12.0" x 9.75" x 2.0". 4to, [28pp.]/pp.viii./pp.288/[82pp.] + 11 engravings and 6 'Pedigrees' (as called for), plus 14 leaves inserted before the title; a further 45 leaves inserted within the text, and 41 leaves inserted after the Index. Boards detached, text block tight. With a huge wealth of extra illustration apparently compiled by a family member, starting with 9 armorial ex libris for the Cullum/St Leger family, with an Als from the author, another from Sir Thomas Cullum dated 1830 [relating to the acquisition of books from a bookseller], several other manuscript leaves, associated engravings laid down or tipped onto new leaves, b/w and colour portaits of family members, pedigrees, an etching of the house signed outside the plate by Gery Milner-Gibson Cullum etc. To the rear of the book are some 30 or so blank leaves, again filled with family memorabilia, including more armorials, engravings, a watercolour of the house, newspaper cuttings, post cards, and the final few leaves with additions apparently from the 1980s.In a quarter leather over paper binding, possibly bound over the earlier boards, showing a half leather bind. Hand written title on paper label, top edge gilt. In essence a very good copy, contents sound save for the first three leaves, which have detached from both the top board and the text block, some very light toning to paper in the block, and offsetting from some of the additional engraved ills. Top board is split along the inner hinge, to approx 2/3 of its height and weakly held, and rear board split along inner hinge but holding to the tapes. Covers rubbed and bumped, leather to the spine and hinges dry but sound. Note to verso of front board: "D. L. Cumming (A gift from William Reynolds)". Armorial bookplate to verso of the front board: "James St. Leger" with motto: "Haut Et Bon" (High And Good); Armorial bookplate to front endpaper: "John Cullum"; Large armorial bookplate to front endpaper engraved by; "E. Mitchell, London": Gery Milner Gibson Cullum, Hardwicke House, Suffolk F.S.A."; Other armorial bookplates laid-down to extra inserted blank leaves: Two further bookplates (standard size) for; "Gery Milner-Gibson-Cullum, Hardwicke House, Suffolk" (Engraved by E. Mitchell); Next leaf with two further small armorial bookplates for Gery Milner-Gibson-Cullum, one engraved by "C. Helard 1908"; Next leaf with two further armorial bookplates: "Thomas Gery Cullum" & "The Rev. Sir Thomas Gery Cullum Bart." Next leaf with hand-written letter dated 1st Nov 1830 with black wax seal from "Sir Thomas Cullum Bart.". Next leaf with pencil note regarding the quality of Cullum's writing. Next leaf with hand-written note regarding the History And Antiquites of Hawstead.. being an inspiration to Gilbert White and his Antiquities of Selborne. Next leaf with hand-written note regarding various visitors to Hardwicke House. Next leaf with two small hand-written notes. Two blank leaves. Then the book begins with portrait frontis and printed title-page. Hand-written note inserted before the title-page signed by John Cullum (Author). All engravings and family pedigrees as called for. Extra leaf inserted before p.29, with engraving of "Sarah Duchess Of Marlborough" by 'J. S. Miller sculpt.' after a design by 'G. Kneller pinxt.'Two extra leaves inserted after p.30: First with an engraving of "Sr. Nicholas Bacon Lord Keeper of the Great Seal"; 'Published by J. Kinton..1730'; The second with a later engraving of: "The Herald's College" ; "Engraved by Lewis from a drawing by H. Neale". Handwritten note inserted after p. 38 regarding Rev. Cullums use of the land to the north of the church as a burial ground. Extra leaf inserted before p.43 with a small ink sketch on thin card of Hawstead Church by "Proleav Warren". Almost full-page copper engraving inserted before p. 49: "Jaques Bourguignon Dernier Maistre des Templiers." Extra leaf inserted before p.53 with engraving of plaque for Nicholas Stone Senr. and Nicholas Stone Junr. by 'T. Chambers sculp.'. Extra leaf inserted after p.64: Engraved portrait of "Philip Metcalfe Esqr." 'Drawn by Edm. Scott, Engraved by Wm. Evans 1801.' Followed by an engraved portrai of Miss Lucy Metcalfe Engraved by "Orme sculpt." after "Barbier pinxt." Plus one small print of the house, and a 1916 newspaper cutting regarding the fire at Hardwicke House. Extra leaf inserted after p. 68 with engraving of; "Vera Effiges Reverendi Don. Joseph Hall, Norwich.. Anno 1650" (W.M. Sculpt / H. Tubbe). Followed by a double-page coloured print: "Grant Of Arms To Joseph Hall D.D. Bishop Of Exeter." Four extra leaves inserted before p.127: Sir Christopher Hatton (Ketel pinx. / Phillibrown sc.); Richard Cox Bishop Of Ely (S. Harding del. / P. Clamp sculpt.); "Jacobus Dei Gratia Magnae Britanniae Franciae Et Hiberniae Rex etc.; "Ely Palace in its former state" (engraving dated 1805) . Two leaves inserted after p.144: "Pius. IV. Pont. Max." (engraving dated 1825); St. Mary's Church Bury St. Edmunds (Etched by John Pye from a sketch by J C. Smith). Extra leaf inserted after p.146; Engraving of "Princeps Maria Henrici VIII.. Holbein pinx it; W. Hollar fecit ; ex Collectione Arundeliana 1647." Extra leaf inserted before p.159: "The Revd. Mr. Thomas Warton, A.M. Poet Laureat." by 'Stanier sculp.' Two extra leaves inserted ater p.168; black & white picture of Hawstead Place; Queen Elizabeth by 'R. Cooper sculpt.' Three extra leaves inserted after p.172: "John Donne, D.D. by 'Cook sc.'; Primogenitus Henricus Prin. Walliae Mag. Brit Reg.; Mrs. Elizabeth Drury..by "James Basire sculp1784." 9 extra leaves inserted before p.179: Engraving of Thos. Milner Gibson by W. Hall (dated 1842); Small foxed plate of No.5 Hyde Park Place - The Home Of Charles Dickens; Coloured picture with black signature - Susannah Arethusa Gibson (née Cullum, 1814–1885); Pedigree of Cullum of hardwick House, Suffolk (to verso); Hand-written note - "The Legend of Arethusa.."; Funeral Of The Right Hon. T. Milner-Gibson (Bury and Norwich Post March 18th 1884); Printed picture "Ye Body Of Sr. Nicholas Crisp Ktt & Baronett.."; Newspaper cutting - The Second Burial of Sir Nicholas Crispe"; Hand-written note on the custom of pouring a glass of wine in to the coffin of Nicholas Crispe at St. Pauls Church, Hammersmith; Double-page "Pedigree of MilnerGibson of Theberton, Suffolk"; Printed note (Aug 6 '98) regarding the Reinternment of Sir Nicholas Crispe; "Order Of Service At The Re-interment Of Sir Nicholas Crispe (18th June, 1898); Two extra leaves inserted after p.184 - Hand-tinted engraving of "Cornelius Janssen by "C. Janssen Pinxt."; "Sir Peter Lely" (dated 1793); Two extra leaves inserted after p.192: "Angelica Kauffmann" (dated 1822) Engraved by T. Woolnoth sculpt."; Double-page - "Grant of Arms To dame Mary Cullum..". Extra leaf inserted after p.208: "The Rev Frederick Barnwell.." 'Adolphus pinxt'; Suffield 233 Strand sculpsit. Fredericus Henricus Barnwell, filius natu major." Extra leaf inserted after p.240: "John Evelyn Esqr." 'Engraved by T. S. Engleheart'. Two extra leaves inserted after p.276: Sepia print of "Hardwick" by 'P. Philimore' with black signature; 'Gery Milner Gibson-Cullum'; Engraving of "John Charles Brooke Esqr. F.S.A." (dated 1794), 'Engraved by E. Bell'. 41 leaves inserted after p.288 (Index): Engraved armorail bookplate - Sir Tho. Gery Cullum Bart. F.R.S."; Calling card - Sir Gery Cullum; Crest of 'Mary Anne Cullum'; Prined note by G. Milner-Gibson-Cullum regarding 'The Family Of Elton Of Fornham..'; Some of Sir Jasper Cullum's Shrievalty Expenses (5 pages); Engraving of Hardwick House; Double-page "Brass In The Church Of St Marcellus, Denbigh, To Richard Middleton.."; Later picture of 'Memorial In Great Dunmow Church, Essex, To Mary Wiseman, Wife Of Thomas Cullum..'; Followed by 5 pages of images of bookplates; 'Tablet To the memory Of Mrs. Milner Gibson In The Chancel Of Hawstead Church'; Engraving of "The Revd. Bernard Mills DD." (dated 1788) 'G. ralph pinxt.; 'J. Singleton Sculpt.'; 'Arms Of Jackson Impaling Ray, Both Of Suffolk' ; Invitation card unused - "Mr. Gery Milner Gibson and Mrs Milner Gibson request the honour of.." ; Lithograph of "The Right Honourable Thomas Milner Gibson 1806-1884"; Picture of Mrs Milner-Gibson; 6 photo images of church monuments; Water-colour of; "Ruins Of Hawstead Place from SE."; 4 pages of newspaper cuttings - Including: Grand Bazaar At Hardwick House, Bury St. Edmund's; "Margaret Haig, wife of Henry Eggens of Woodford, Essex & Mother of Mary Anne 1st wife of Rev Sir Thos Gery Cullum.. from a watercolour by Henry Richter"; Black & white picture of a stained-glass window; 5 postcards of 'Cullum' monuments (one used and addressed to J. St. Leger Esqr.; Pictures of miniature paintings including: Arethusa dr. of Henry Vernon; Susanna dau. of Abraham Jenkin..; Coloured lithograph of crest - "Hanson (Old Coat) Impaling Levett, Boh Of Yorkshire.." ; Later 1978 Guide to "Hawstead Church" pp.15; 4 pages of coloured photographs; "Taken by D. L. Cumming (owner of this book) and J. Wilkinson duiring a visit to hawstead in August 1980.".
Chilton BooksProfessional seller
Book number: 49055
GBP 500.00 [Appr.: EURO 583.5 US$ 627.85 | JP¥ 91728]
Keywords: 50534 Helard Bookplate the History and Antiquities of Hawsted, and Hardwick, in the County of Suffolk Rev. Sir John Cullum Printed by and for J. Nichols, Son, and Bentley Suffolk: : 19th Century