[an error occurred while processing this directive]Ask a question or
Order this book


Browse our books
Search our books
Book dealer info


COMMITTEE, ALLEGHENY CENTENNIAL - Story of Old Allegheny City

Title: Story of Old Allegheny City
Description: Allegheny Centennial Committee, 1941. First Edition; First Printing. Hardcover. Signed by A.T. Kirschler Jr. the son of the last Mayor of Old Allegheny City who in 1907 became deputy Mayor of Pittsburg after Allegheny City was consolidated with Pittsburg, Pa. Allegheny City, known today as Pittsburgh’s North Side, was the third-largest city in Pennsylvania when it was controversially annexed by the City of Pittsburgh in 1907. Founded in 1787 as a reserve land tract for Revolutionary War veterans in compensation for their service, it quickly evolved into a thriving urban center with its own character, industry, and accomplished residents. Among those to inhabit the area, which came to be known affectionately as “The Ward,” were Andrew Carnegie, Mary Cassatt, Gertrude Stein, Stephen Foster, and Martha Graham. Once a station along the underground railroad, home to the first wire suspension bridge, and host to the first World Series, the North Side is now the site of Heinz Field, PNC Park, the Andy Warhol Museum, the National Aviary, and world headquarters for corporations such as Alcoa and the H. J. Heinz Company. Letter laid in from Joseph C. Clark to Victor M. Matz thanking him for loaning the book to him for research. Fully indexed with many surnames. Rare.; American Guide Series; Photographs, Maps; 4to 11" - 13" tall; 235 pages; Signed by Notable Personage, Related. Very Good with No dust jacket as issued .

Keywords:

Price: US$ 59.97 Seller: A Book Legacy
- Book number: 59936

See more books from our catalog: Pennsylvania

[an error occurred while processing this directive]