A History of New Lots, Brooklyn--to 1887 Including the Villages of East New York, Cypress Hills and Brownsville
Port Washington, NY, Kennikat Press. 1977. (ISBN: 080469172X) Hardcover. Book, First Edition. x, 258pp, 44 illustrations from photographs, documents and artwork, 7 maps, Preface, Introduction, Seven Appendices, Notes and Bibliographical Data, Index. Tall 8vo/23.5cm. Green cloth gilt, as new in very good dj lightly rubbed at head of spine, internally fine. NF/NF. Presentation inscription on ffep: "To/James Hurley/in grateful appreciation./[signed] Alter F. Landesman/March 9, 1977" .New Lots was settled in 1677 with the grant by Sir Edmond Andros, second English colonial governor, on March 6th, 1677 of a special patent for New Lots to the settlers of the town of Flatbush. It remained a subordinate village of Flatbush until 1852 when it was made a separate town but was annexed to the City of Brooklyn in 1886, only a few years before Brooklyn was annexed to New York and became part of Greaater New York City in 1898. Rabbi Dr. Alter F. Landesman came to Brownsville in 1922 as Executive Director of the Hebrew Educational Society of Brooklyn. He remained a leader of the Brownsville community for four decades. He also wrote, Brownsville; the Birth, Development and Passing of a Jewish Community in New York (1969). James Hurley, the recipient of the book, was then Executive Director of The Long Island Historical Society, founded in 1863, which subsequently was renamed the Brooklyn Historical Society in 1985. If desired, the book could be countersigned by the donoree. Fine.
James Hurley, BooksProfessional seller
Book number: 005063
USD 83.09 [Appr.: EURO 74.5 | £UK 65 | JP¥ 9251]
Keywords: 080469172x Brooklyn New Lots East New York Cypress Hills Brownsville History Travel and Description Kings County 300th Anniversary Publication