The Annals of Newgate; Or, Malefactors Register. Containing A particular and circumstantial Account of the Lives, Transactions, and Trials of the most notorious Malefactors, who have suffered an ignominious Death for their Offences, viz. for Parricide, Murder, Treason, Robbery, Burglary, Piracy, Coining, Forgery, and Rapes [etc.]. (Complete in Four Volumes) From the Commitment of the celebrated John Sheppard, to the Acquittal of the equally celebrated Margaret Caroline Rudd... Calculated to expose the Deformity of Vice, the Infamy and Punishments naturally attending those who deviate from the Paths of Virtue; and intended as a Beacon to warn the rising Generation against the Temptations, the Allurements, and the Dangers of bad Company.
London, J. Wenman, No. 144, Fleet Street, 1776. First Edition. Volumes 1,3, and 4 are bound in full leather with gilt rectangles on the front boards and gilt tooling along the spines wth 5 raised bands and red and black leather lables( vol. 4 missing vol. # label). Very clean and tight and handsomely bound. A first Edition of Volume 2 has been supplied from another set and is bound in 1/4 leather with leather tips and black cloth-covered boards. It is also a first edition published by Wenman in 1776 (title page) and has the requisite frontispiece of "His Majesty George the Third" as well as the plates opposite pages 152 and 254. All 37 plates are present as called for. While volumes 1,3, and 4 are in very good plus condition, volume 2 is worn and good only with occasional foxing, soiling, and damage to the margins of some pages, not affecting the text. Still, it is a complete set with all the engravings present: volume 1 containing 11 plates; volume 2 with 3 plates; volume 3 with 10 plates; and volume 4 with 13 plates, all enumerated at the end of volume 4 ("Directions to the Binder for placing the Cuts.") . Newgate Prison was a prison in London, at the corner of Newgate Street and Old Bailey just inside the City of London. It was originally located at the site of Newgate, a gate in the Roman London Wall. The gate/prison was rebuilt in the 12th century, and demolished in 1777. The prison was extended and rebuilt many times, and remained in use for over 700 years, from 1188 to 1902. The first prison at Newgate was built in 1188 on the orders of Henry II. It was significantly enlarged in 1236, and the executors of Lord Mayor Dick Whittington were granted a license to renovate the prison in 1422. The prison was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666, and was rebuilt in 1672, extending into new buildings on the south side of the street. According to medieval statute, the prison was to be managed by two annually elected Sheriffs, who in turn would sublet the administration of the prison to private "gaolers", or "Keepers", for a price. These Keepers in turn were permitted to exact payment directly from the inmates, making the position one of the most profitable in London. Inevitably, the system offered incentives for the Keepers to exhibit cruelty to the prisoners, charging them for everything from entering the gaol to having their chains both put on and taken off. Among the most notorious Keepers in the Middle Ages were the 14th-century gaolers Edmund Lorimer, who was infamous for charging inmates four times the legal limit for the removal of irons, and Hugh De Croydon, who was eventually convicted of blackmailing prisoners in his care. Over the centuries, Newgate was used for a number of purposes including imprisoning people awaiting execution, although it was not always secure: burglar Jack Sheppard escaped from the prison two times before he went to the gallows at Tyburn in 1724. Prison chaplain Paul Lorrain achieved some fame in the early 18th century for his sometimes dubious publication of Confessions of the condemned. (Wikipedia) .
Brainerd F. Phillipson, Rare BooksProfessional seller
Book number: B416
USD 2500.00 [Appr.: EURO 2367.25 | £UK 2006 | JP¥ 280368]